Saturday, April 17, 2010

NBA Playoffs: Round 1


I'm going to predict the playoffs differently than I did the regular season. It's way too hard to pick every game of the postseason because anything can happen, rather I'm going to pick each series. I will repeat this every round.

Eastern Conference:

Cavaliers (1) vs Bulls (8) Slo's pick: Cavaliers
The Cavs will win this series but don't expect the Bulls to just lie down. The Bulls didn't fight and claw their way into the playoffs to be the Cavs' punching bag. The Cavs will win the series, but don't be surprised to see the Bulls push them to the limit. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it's very possible.

Magic (2) vs Bobcats (7) Slo's pick: Magic
I've heard many analysts over the past week saying this is going to be a great series and I still can't figure out what leads them to believe that. The Magic are going to obliterate the Bobcats in 4 or 5 games with a possibility of 6. The bottom line is that the Bobcats will not make the second round, period.

Hawks (3) vs Bucks (6) Slo's pick: Hawks
The Bucks might steal a game or 2 but I doubt it. The Hawks will run them off the floor and face the Magic in the second round.

Celtics (4) vs Heat (5) Slo's pick: Celtics
This is the most intriguing series in the first round. All season the Celtics have been saying they were pacing themselves for the playoffs and that's why they weren't winning as much as most people expected. Well the playoffs are here, now they have no excuses. To be honest, I think the Heat have a really good chance of winning this series but I'm not confident enough to bet against such a battle tested team in the first round.


Western Conference:

Lakers (1) vs Thunder (8) Slo's pick: Thunder
No that is not a misprint, the Thunder will knock out the Lakers in the first round of the playoffs. If I'm right then I look like a genius and if I'm wrong I look like the world's biggest moron. The reason why is because the Thunder are playing with more hunger, in the playoffs the biggest thing is how bad you want it. Whatever the Lakers do, just don't let the Thunder take game 1. If the Thunder take game 1 the Lakers are going to be in a very bad position.

Mavericks (2) vs Spurs (7) Slo's pick: Mavericks
The Mavs' mid season trade for Caron Butler and Brandon Haywood is going to start paying dividends. Butler brings toughness and the ability to score while Haywood brings physicality down low, both things are key in playoff basketball. At the end of the day the Mavs are just better and that's why they are going to the second round.

Suns (3) vs Trailblazers (6) Slo's pick: Suns
The Suns will win this series easily. Brandon Roy is most likely going to be out for the whole series which will result in the Suns going to the second round. Many believe this is the year for Steve Nash to finally do some significant damage in the playoffs. Amare Stoudemire is arguably playing the best basketball of his career right now and the league doesn't seem able to stop him.

Nuggets (4) vs Jazz (5) Slo's pick: Nuggets
The Nuggets are my pick to go the Finals from the western conference. Oddly enough, I think the Jazz are the team that's going to give them the most trouble. If the Nuggets can get by the Jazz, they can get by anybody. As the season progressed I was becoming more and more confident in the Nuggets and now I'm comfortable in picking them to emerge from the west.