Saturday, May 1, 2010

NBA Playoffs: Round 2


Cavaliers vs Celtics Slo's pick: Cavaliers
It is with great reluctancy that I pick the Cavs to win this series. While there is no doubt in my mind they are the better team, it's never easy to pick against a team as battle tested as these Celtics. Last round the Cavs and Celts both won in 5 games, each beating a premier guard. I think it's safe to say that both teams knew going in that to get to the finals they would have to beat the other one at some point in time. This is going to be a knock em' down, drag em' out fight and it's the Cavs' depth that will carry them to the conference finals for the second straight season.

Lakers vs Jazz Slo's pick: Lakers
I was wrong, I really thought the Thunder were going to knock off the Lakers. They would have forced a game seven if not for Pau Gasol being in the right place at the right time with .5 seconds remaining in game 6. The Jazz also proved me wrong in the first round, I'm somewhat stunned that the Jazz handled what seemed to be an explosive Nuggets team so easily. The reason was their ability to shut down Nuggets' wild card JR Smith. I'm taking the Lakers in this round only because it's the safe pick. But don't think for a second that the Jazz don't have a very good shot at winning this series.

Suns vs Spurs Slo's pick: Suns
I really think, and hope, that this is the year for the Suns to break through and make a strong push for the Western Conference crown. The Suns and Spurs have bad blood between them because of their playoff series a few years ago. Many believe the Suns would have won if not for Amar'e Stoudemire's bogus suspension. Steve Nash was dealt a cheap shot and Stoudemire (stupidly) left the bench. Although he was entering the fray as a peacemaker, the rule is if a player leaves the bench he is suspended despite was his intention may be. The key against the Spurs is to keep them running, those old legs will tire eventually. Much like the Celtics, I'm not comfortable picking against a team with the track record of the Spurs. However at the end of the day I have to pick who I feel is the better team and that's why I'm going with the Suns.

Orlando vs Hawks Slo's pick: Magic
The Magic have too much depth for the Hawks to contend with. First of all Dwight Howard is an obvious matchup problem and if the Hawks double him they will get torched from the three point line. If the Hawks are able to steal game one or two then they have a shot but unless they take home court advantage this is as far as they go.