Thursday, October 7, 2010

Boozer out 6-8 weeks


Every Bulls fan cringed when they heard the news. Carlos Boozer injured his hand during non basketball activities and will not return to the lineup for 6-8 weeks.

While at his home Boozer tripped over a big luggage bag and broke his hand when he braced himself for the fall.

"It was just dark, my doorbell rang and I tripped over a gym bag, tried to brace myself and it popped," Boozer said. "I jumped back up, opened the door and my hand was still a little numb. I'm 265, 5 percent body fat. I'm heavy, man. I guess I had to brace myself and my weight just collapsed the bone. If I had landed with an open hand, I would've been fine. But somehow my right hand got turned over and that's what caused the break."

Losing Boozer for the first 15 games hurts the Bulls badly. It means that Boozer will miss the annual circus trip that has given the Bulls a ton of problems since 1998. After the last few seasons, the Bulls don't want to spend another December trying to make up for a slow start.

I have no doubt that Derrick Rose can keep the team afloat for a little while but it's going to be tough beating the league's best teams consistently without a low post scorer. The one and only positive is that if the Bulls make the playoffs. Boozer will have the freshest legs by about 15 games.