Thursday, January 14, 2010

Red Auerbach is Rolling Over in His Grave


I just came back from the Celtics vs Bulls game in the TD Bank Garden. I was disturbed at what I saw. Not on the floor, but in the crowd and on the scoreboard.

The focus throughout the entire night wasn't on the players, but on the scoreboard. People did whatever they could to be seen by all.

There were even 5 year old girls dancing in an incredibly suggestive way, it was borderline disturbing.

In Red's day basketball was a game, unfortunately now it's a circus. The NBA has made a very strong effort to reach out to local communities, specifically the young children. I don't understand why to be completely honest. If the kid likes basketball in any way he'll be entertained. I don't want to see Lucky the leprechaun dancing around in a gold vest and kilt. And I know for a fact that a lot of other people feel the same way.

Ever since Ron Artest ran into the crowd at the Palace of Auburn Hills (Detroit) and fought someone who had thrown a beer at him, the NBA has done everything possible to reach out to the fans. Which is great and totally understandable. But what isn't understandable is when I'm watching some dancing 57 year old man who looks like Santa, rather than the replay of Derrick Rose's last drive.

I've always liked the halftime show, because it always actually had something to do with basketball. They used to do some competition like who can run the length of the floor and make a layup within 5 seconds or something like that. Now there's a bunch of random people dancing. One time I saw dogs out on the floor racing in Celtics jerseys. I don't think I have to explain how ridiculous that is.

This is a basketball game, not a broadway show. If you're going to the game for the scoreboard opportunities then in my opinion you shouldn't be there. I understand how the NBA wants to maximize profit but where do you draw the line?

I feel like one of those old angry guys who hang out in Dunkin' Donuts all day, most younger people don't mind all the foolishness in the arena, some even like it. I just feel that it's disrespectful to the game of basketball in every way. It's disrespectful to the players, coaches, refs, and fans who actually want to watch what's happening on the floor.

It seems like they're a dying breed.

I've been to many games in my lifetime, and never have I seen so much distraction from the game than tonight. It honestly made me sick.